CITY OF PHOENIX
April 25, 2022
ASSISTANT CHIEF COUNSEL
Assistant Chief Counsel - Public Safety
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The City is offering a $3,000 hiring incentive to new hires for Assistant Chief Counsel - Public Safety which will be paid in accordance with A.R. 2.55.
The Assistant Chief Counsel is responsible for managing a Section that provides legal advice and services for a variety of departments within the City. A candidate is preferred with experience with transactional work and management or supervision of staff. The Section Chief will supervise 4 to 6 attorneys in the Civil division and represent at least one department in an area of expertise shown through the interview process. This position represents the City, its agents, and employees in all aspects of legal work related to those departments it represents and represented by the attorneys it supervises. This position will have the responsibility to draft, review and negotiate contracts and leases or other transactional work, and advise the Departments on legal issues and problems associated with the departments it represents.
This position is expected to perform difficult professional and administrative legal work, including revisions to the Phoenix City Code, and client consultation to assist decision makers with the legal implications of their decisions. It also may require conducting public meetings and representing the City during administrative hearings or court proceedings. This position reports directly to the Chief Assistant City Attorney or Chief Counsel but is expected to work independently in performing all assigned duties.
The current vacancy is in the Public Safety Section of the Law Department, Civil Division.
The Assistant Chief Counsel's work is performed in the Office of the City Attorney, in accordance with general policies of the City Council and City Manager and the accepted standards of the legal profession, including all applicable ethical rules.
- The incumbent should possess significant knowledge of municipal government; local and state governmental relationships; working with elected officials and legal problem-solving in municipal law.
- The incumbent should possess significant knowledge of municipal government; local and state governmental relationships; working with elected officials, legal problem-solving in municipal
- Experience with advising public safety agencies such as police and fire departments is also desired.
Up to $160,388.80 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The City contributes 9% of salary into 457/401(a) plans with no matching required. $3,600/annual car allowance and $1,440/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Middle Manager benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually, dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Middle Manager Benefits.
- Four years of experience as a practicing civil attorney,
- including six months of experience in the practice of municipal law
- Graduation from an accredited school of law
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here.
The City of Phoenix has paused plans to implement a federal mandate requiring all city employees be vaccinated against COVID-19. This decision comes after a series of legal challenges and a ruling from a federal judge which temporarily halts the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for federal contractors nationwide. If the requirement is reinstated, the City of Phoenix may require new hires to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment. After a conditional offer has been extended, candidates may request a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Eight years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience drafting contracts, resolution and ordinances and performing other transactional work.
- Experience managing legal and other professional personnel.
- Indicate your experience with advising public safety agencies such as police and fire departments.
- Indicate your experience communicating regularly with high level managers, department heads, and elected officials.
Recruitment closes May 16, 2022. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and generates a one time use only list. Once interviews are conducted and candidates are selected, this job posting will be considered closed and candidates will no longer be in consideration for the position applied for. This posting will not result in any ongoing eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- During the current health crisis, job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- Please be aware that you may be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Asst Chief Counsel (NC): Job Code10210, ID #44980
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.